During the early 1950s, BMW primarily focused on refining designs that were essentially pre-war models. However, by 1955, the company introduced two new motorcycles, namely the R50 and R69. These machines inherited the updated flat-twin engine from the R51/3, which had been introduced a few years earlier. However, the R50 and R69 featured entirely new chassis components, with notable departures from previous designs. These included the Earles-type leading-link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension, which enclosed the drive-shaft within the right leg — an innovation initially seen on BMW's factory racing motorcycles. Positioned as luxurious tourers, the R50 and R69 found favor among enthusiasts who placed little importance on cost when compared to the engineering excellence that BMW offered.
This model was restored some time ago and is painted in dark-red/creme-white. With Belgian registration.